Springwatch logo paul

Anti-social Behaviour

There are many types of anti-social behaviour (ASB), they can be categorised as either Environmental or Criminal.

Environmental ASB  is nuisance behaviour which damages your neighbourhood:  dog fouling, litter, graffiti, noise, neighbour nuisance - all of these can be reported to the Council or your registered social landlord.

With most environmental offences, agencies will use restorative action with offenders - basically the people who make the mess, clean it up!

Don't just accept environmental offences such as graffiti, litter thrown everywhere or people who don't clear up after their dog. Report it.

Environmental ASB

Is nuisance behaviour which damages your neighbourhood:

  • General vandalism
  • General graffiti, such as 'tagging'
  • Dog Fouling
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Unkempt gardens, rubbish dumping
  • Littering / Flytipping
  • Rowdy & noisy neighbours



Report to St.Helens Borough Council or your registered social landlord. 

Online: sthelens.gov.uk/report-it
(if you haven't registered before you can create an account, or report anonymously)
Call us:  01744 676789
(Contact Centre opening hours, Monday to Friday 9:00am till 5:00pm)


Criminal ASB is ASB that is also a crime. This could be threatening or offensive behaviour, such as intimidation, drug dealing & street drinking, fireworks being set off late at night. Or, scramblers or quad bikes being ridden illegally on roads and public land and other types of vehicle misuse, such as revving engines, racing, wheel spinning and horn sounding.

It should always be dealt with in the first instance by the police, either by their non-emergency contact routes (i.e. through social media, online or calling 101) or in an emergency situation (if you feel in danger from immediate threat) by calling 999.

If you have information about criminal offences and do not want to provide your details - you can contact the charity Crimestoppers UK.

 Criminal ASB

Is crime which is also included in definitions of anti-social behaviour:

  • Vandalism that is linked to threatening and/or offensive behaviour
  • Graffiti linked to threatening and/or offensive behaviour (e.g.: involving racism or other hate crimes)
  • Buying drugs on the street
  • Drinking on the street
  • Threatening or drunken behaviour
  • Setting off fireworks late at night
  • Off-road motor vehicles
  • Nuisance deliberate fires (call 999 to report a fire)


Report to Merseyside Police

Online: merseyside.police.uk
Facebook: Merseyside Police Contact Centre Facebook
Twitter: @MerPolCC

101 if you need urgent advice or assistance with criminal anti-social behaviour and only call 999 if it is an emergency.

If you don't want to provide your information, you can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on: 0800 555 111 


 REMEMBER: An emergency is something that demands an immediate response, for example: 

  • A crime is happening now
  • People are injured
  • People are being threatened or are in danger
  • The offender is still there or is nearby

Merseyside Police aims to respond to all calls concerning anti-social behaviour appropriately, and will inform you about their response time.