Burglars are opportunists and will always take the easiest
option. In this section we will give you some tips on how to avoid
drawing their attention.
While some crime prevention tools can be expensive, like
installing a burglar alarm, motion activated light sensors or CCTV.
Others just need a change in your behaviour patterns.
Protect Your Home
Make your home look occupied when you go out, burglars will
target an empty house as they are less likely to encounter.
- Going on holiday? - Ask somebody you trust to keep an eye on
your property. Consider using a timer device to turn on lights, the
TV or radio, and make it seem as though somebody is at home. Dont
advertise your empty home, by 'checking-in' on holiday on social
media. Add your photos and happy memories to your social media when
you return home.
- Doors - lock all doors with access to the outside, even when
you are at home. Burglars are not ashamed and will walk the streets
trying door handles to see if they can get easy access.
- Windows - when possible keep them on a restricter, shut or
locked. It is surprising how small a gap is required for a burglar
to sneak through. Make sure there is nothing that can be used to
climb on to access upper windows.
- Keys - don't leave them in a visible place, move them away from
doors and windows. Burglars are known to use wire to hook keys and
gain entry to propertys and take vehicles. Maybe take them to bed
with you at night?
- High value items - if you are lucky enough to own these you
should register them on imobilise.com this will give you more
chance of them being recovered by the police if they are stolen.
You may also want to consider installing a secured safe.
- Why not learn a new night time routine for locking up at
night. Windows - doors - keys - bed.
- Shed - if you have a shed, don't keep it's contents on display,
cover or black out any windows and install a lock as a
- Tools - these can be used to break in to your property. Keep
them stored away safely. Ladders should be secured to a wall or
floor where possible.
- Bikes - some people pay an absolute fortune for their bike, but
do not take steps to secure them. While a bike lock or chain is
better than nothing, a floor or wall anchor is more secure. Again,
register your bike on imobilise.com and make sure you are visible
when out and about, Be Safe & Be Seen.
- Having a BBQ - if you are in the back of the property, make
sure the front of the property is secure.
- A Merry Christmas! - don't advertise your new belongings by
leaving packaging out for all to see, only put it out on the day of